Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hi, Hi, Hi

Not only is the title of tonight's post a warm greeting from yours truly to you, since I've been gone for several days - but also a nice nod to one Sir Paul, who is performing at tonight's Grammy Awards.

Hello 1970s! 

We had a lovely week, with everything from multiple cases of the stomach flu (not cooking-induced, in case you are wondering) to work travel to basketball games, which is why you haven't heard much from me of late. But I'm back!  At least for a few days, until the winter schedule kicks in again.And, I hope you had a great week too, cyberworld friends.

On with the show! To start things off, I made:

Double Banana Bread
Kraft Foods, Holiday 2006
I added chocolate chips instead of walnuts, as the recipe calls for, and used canola oil.
Heart healthy ingredients: Canola oil (the walnuts would have been heart healthy, too, but I don't like nuts in my baked goods)

For dinner, we had:
Walnut and Rosemary Oven-Fried Chicken
Cooking Light, June 2010
Heart healthy ingredients: Walnuts, rosemary. I do like nuts in my savory dishes. 

Butternut Mash
The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 7th edition
Heart healthy ingredients: Squash, olive oil

We also had broccoli as a side. And you know broccoli is good for you!

Reviews:
The Butternut Mash was disgusting. It didn't even make the plate. I think the error was a combination of not enough squash, too much liquid stuff, but it just wasn't happening and even I wasn't going to torture the boys with that one.

On the other hand, both the chicken and the banana bread were great. The chicken got super-crispy - hence the "oven-fried" moniker - and the banana bread is just delish. The boys ate all of their chicken with no complaints, and we've all been noshing on the bread. The baby got into the action and ate about 3/4 of my breakfast slice.

Ranking:
Mash: One Fork
Chicken: Three Forks
Banana bread: Four Forks

PS: I haven't been lax in posting food pics - I just keep forgetting to take them until we're about halfway through with dinner. I know you are very disappointed!






No comments:

Post a Comment