Sunday, January 15, 2012

Double Post! Dessert Day

DOUBLE POST TODAY!

When I launched the blog, one of the first recipes I made was for truffles, which resulted in a few of my peeps being less than thrilled that this was a one-time deal (at least for the year).

Of course, given the fact that I have thousands of recipes, are you really that surprised that I found another variation of truffles to make? I actually made them for a party we attended last night (didn't have the chance to do an entry yesterday), and threw them in cute little mini-muffin holders.

Cute, right?

Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
Source: Kraft Food & Family, Holiday 2006

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg (8 squares) semi-sweet baking chocolate
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1 8oz tub cool whip
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
Directions:
  • Microwave chocolate in large microwaveable bowl until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until completely melted. Add in peanut butter and stir until well blended. Cool to room temp. Gently stir in cool whip. Refrigerate 1 hour.
  • Scoop peanut butter mixture with melon baller or teaspoon, then shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Store in refrigerator. Per the recipe's suggestion, I also crushed up Nilla Wafers and rolled them in that. You can also use grated white chocolate, crushed peanuts, coconut, etc.
Yield: 3 dozen (I got about 2 dozen)

Review:
The truffles went super fast, and everyone seemed to enjoy them. I thought they were so-so - almost too sweet for me. They were very fast to make - I squeezed them in during the babe's naptime - and I liked doing the different variations.

Ranking:
Three Forks - based on ease and everyone else's reviews

And now here's your second post!When I rec'd my Jan/Feb 2012 issue of Cooking Light, I saw BEST LIGHT CHOCOLATE RECIPE EVER screaming from the cover. That's a mighty big claim, so in addition to my usual excitement over simply receiving a new recipe source, I was even more thrilled to give the BEST LIGHT CHOCOLATE RECIPE EVER a whirl and see if it truly lives up to this distinction.

Let's get right to it:
Classic Fudge Walnut Brownies
Source: Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2012

Ingredients:
  • 3.38 oz all-purpose flour (approx 3/4 c.)
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c. unsweeted cocoa
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c. bittersweet chocolate chunks, divided
  • 1/3 c. fat-free milk
  • 6 tbsp buter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, divided (skip - don't like)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Combine 1/2 c. chocoalte and milk in a microwave safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute; stirring after 30 seconds. Stir in butter, vanilla, and eggs. Add milk mixture, 1/2 c. chocolate, and 1/4 c. wlanutes to flour mixture; stir to combine.
  • Pour the batter in a 9-inch square metal baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 mins or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean with moist crumbs clinging. Cool. Cut into 20 pieces.
Yield: 20 pieces (1 brownie)
Per brownie: 186 calories; 9.1g fat (4.2g sat; 2.2g mono; 1.7g poly); 2.8g protein; 25.4g carb; 1.4g fiber; 30mg chol; 74mg sodium

Review:
The hubs is out of town while I write this, so he'll have to leave a comment later tonight after he tries the brownies, but the kid and I each shoveled one in after his travel soccer game. Delish! I can't say with certainty that this is the best chocolate recipe ever, but peeps, it is pretty frickin' good. Of course, I will now have to have a challenge wihtin a challenge and make all of the other chocoalte recipes provided by Cooking Light in its fun little bake-off battle. I'm sure my family will hate that.

Ranking:
Four Forks

This is what 1/20th of a brownie looks like. I could eat the whole pan.

1 comment:

  1. They were definitely delish - not sure best ever, but I plan on shoveling many more in my face over next day or two.

    SF

    ReplyDelete